Tuesday, December 2, 2008

What's in a wiki?--lots of participation

I took a quick tour through the world of wikis and found myself wishing I had several days to look around at all the websites. Two of my discoveries really interested me: USC Aiken Gregg Graniteville Library [It's a United States Federal Depository Library-wow!] and the University of Calgary Wiki [It included a beautiful aerial picture of the campus in the summer--how inviting is that?]
Here are a few of the wiki applications I found that work well in libraries: Updating of Subject Guides (gives librarians help/updates occur more frequently), Annotating the catalog (user reviews can help other patrons find books meeting their specific needs), Community Wiki (helps libraries become physical hubs of the community).

No comments: